Sunday 15 July 2018

I am lovestruck

Hull, 15/07/18

I am lovestruck, dumbstruck
Stuck to find the words
To really say all I’m feeling,
All that’s reeling inside.

For years part of me has lived life
Like a frightened wild animal
But lately there’s been a feeling
Of safety.
And of love.
The unexpected presence
Of another wild animal
Protective and strong.
The one for whom
My heart has longed.

A warrior among creatures
His features are kind and rugged
And fierce.
Just one look
Pierces my heart.
Battered by battles
He wears his scars
Shamelessly
Without blame or stain.
So much courage
Held in his mighty frame.

The effect of just resting
On his neck
Is like a homecoming.
And all the soul numbing,
The playing things down
The needing to be careful,
The wariness
And the weariness
Come tumbling down.
It’s alright.
There’s no need to hide
Beside him.

And all the brave things,
The beautiful things.
The brilliant things
Inside, rise.
In the gaze of his eyes
I am free.
Free to love
Free to be
Free to give
All of me.